I have been grain free since April 2014. With Thanksgiving quickly approaching, I suddenly realized that I must find pie. So I set out to create a grain free pie that was worth sharing on Thanksgiving. I know there are tons of awesome recipes on the internet already; however, sometimes I enjoy creating my own recipe. Here is what I came up with:
Grain Free Sweet Potato Pie
- 1 cup Almond Meal or Flour
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tsp arrowroot starch
- 1 tbsp lard*
- 1 tbsp real maple syrup grade B
- 4 tbsp ice cold water
- large pinch of sea salt
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (approximately 2 1/4 cups) baked and peeled
- 1/8 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tbsp pumpkin spice
- 1 tsp pure vanilla
- large pinch of salt
- First make the crust. In a large mixing bowl mix together the almond meal or flour, coconut flour, arrowroot starch and salt, then add the egg, lard, ice water and maple syrup. You can roll with a rolling pin, but this has never worked out for me with grain free crust, so I just scooped it into my glass pie pan and use a spoon to smooth it as evenly as possible. Make sure you put it up the sides also, and use your fingers to pinch the top. Let it sit in the refrigerator for one hour. If the sides keep falling, add a little more coconut flour.
- Next, mix together all of the pie ingredients in a food processor. (Yes I tasted it! lol)
- Add the filling to the crust and smooth the filling, after the crust had chilled.
- Bake for 30-40 mins or until the crust is brown & a toothpick comes out clean.
*Please Note: The lard should come from a high quality source. If you are in or around the Columbia, MO area then I recommend either Sullivan Farms out of Fayette or Crocker Farms out of Centralia. Both can be found at the farmers market on most Saturdays. They are hit and miss this time of year though.