Those of us that can’t or choose not to get grains can get pretty bored with eggs EVERY morning, plus many people are allergic. Here is a simple breakfast bowl that I created from what was in my refrigerator one morning. I am not a fan of “breakfast”, “lunch” and “dinner” labels, so feel free to cook this anytime like I do! Also, feel free to use bacon or ground sausage in place of the links.
- 2 Large or 6 Small Sausage Links (I got mine at Sullivans Farms near Columbia, MO)
- 2 cups Broccoli, Cut into Chunks (Stem and Florets)
- 2 cups Spinach
- 1 Yellow Onion, Peeled and Diced
- 1 cup Mushrooms (I used Baby Bellas), Sliced
- 1/8 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/8 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/8 tsp Roasted Ground Coriander
- 1/8 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1-2 Tbsp Good Quality Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Brown links over medium heat in skillet on stove for around 4-5 minutes, turning as needed. Do not cook through. (I prefer using my cast iron.)
- Remove from skillet and set to the side.
- Place the onions and broccoli into the skillet and cook for 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring as needed. Add a 1/2-1 tbsp of olive oil if needed. (There may be some left over from the sausage.)
- While the veggies are cooking, remove the casein and cut the sausage down the middle, splitting the sausage into two long halves. Hold the two pieces together, while slicing into 1″ slices.
- Mix in the spinach and 1 tbsp olive oil to the skillet. Stir around and the spinach should cook down after 2-3 minutes.
- Next, add in the sausage, mushrooms, and spices. Continue to cook for 10-12 minutes, stirring as needed. Ensure that the sausage is cooked through.
I always recommend organic, local, pastured and non-gmo whenever possible! If you are looking for more egg free recipe ideas and are around Columbia, MO then check out Back 2 Basics Cooking!